The more my business grows the more I question myself “Am I a good leader?” Clients look toward me for guidance and assistance in their accounting and taxation needs, and the people around me see me a leader in my business. What makes up a good leader? Previously I had thought a leader was someone who could give direction and tell people what to do. This is not what I want to be. A good leader does the following;
- They have a clear vision of what they want to achieve in life, in their business. They have goals, and they communicate these with their team.
- They keep their promises. This is a huge value of mine; I will always follow through on something I have promised.
- They take responsibility for their actions. Admit if they are wrong and correct them.
- Accept that people make mistakes and forgive them
- They treat people as humans and not numbers.
- They hold strong values which they never compromise.
The biggest lesson I have learnt in business is to surround myself with like-minded people, people who will support me, and people who will help me along the way. One of the ways I have done this is to join networking groups like Linking Ladies. The group is women in business in the Macarthur and surrounding areas who meet once a month. By participating in this group I have gained knowledge and support from other business owners. Another key to my business is having an accountability buddy. For me this is a Business Coach from Stairway 2 Dreams. My coach Sandy helps me set goals, and achieve them by keeping me accountable to these goals. She has helped me become the Small Business leader I want to be.